rss
twitter
    Find out what I'm doing, Follow Me :)

2.24.2009

[BlogorDIE!] Sledgren interview w/ Ayatollah


May the peace and blessings of God be upon you.

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the 8th week of 2009. You know what
that means? Back Packer Weekly! (Waits for studio audience to
applaud).

So the next couple of weeks, I'm going to focus in on local hip hop.
Local is a relative term of course, so more specifically the dynamics
of our scene here, in Pittsburgh. A lot of people ask me when I
travel, or talk to producers/ MCs/ DJs from other parts of the world,
they always ask what it's like here. It's really tough to explain in
a single conversation, so I'll take a few Sunday's out to do so.

With that being said. Today, I'm sitting down with one of the
keystones of the Pittsburgh sound, no pun intended. Pittsburgh hip
hop has a lot of names, but only a few widely recognizeable names.
Wiz Khalifa is THE top name on the scene, love him or hate him, you
can't argue with that. But he didn't get there alone. You're about
to read what one of the most accomplished producers in the city has to
say about the scene here, WAMO (our local radio station) not
supporting local artists, competition with other producers, and how he
came across one of the best monikers in the music business.
Soundsmith Sledgren is the focus of BPW8.




A: Salaam ahk. I hope everything is well, thanks for taking the time out
for the interview. Let's get into it. How did the name Sledgren come
about? That moniker is to raw. You could MC with a handle like that.

Sledgren: I'm an avid video game player, and I was playin madden prolly in 01?
And I was using the colts my real [name] is Edward so people call me
Ed my cousin started to call me Edgerrin cause i was wining a lot with
them, and peoples just being hood out there hood slang on it an added
an "sl", and that's how Sledgren came about!

A: Prince Of The City 2 was really big for you, however your seemed to
create a new lane for yourself. What was the inspiration?

Sledgren: I just try to [make] more avenues. It's 09 and I felt like there's was
no reason for me to not own my on label, direct my own videos, edit my
own vibes, photo shop etc.

A: I see you cite Mannie Fresh as an influence, what about him puts him
on a pedestal so to speak, against other producers?

Sledgren: Man, Mannie would produce 17 or 18 tracks on a album all with a def,
unique sound. You wouldn't think hey made everything on there. I
loved his sound nothin really sounded the same to me.

A: A lot of producers in Pittsburgh have gravitated more toward the down
south sounds, with fast hi hats, synths, and slow tempos. Why is
that?

Sledgren: The southern sound is so universal sometimes ... that I don't even
consider it down south we know it originated there but it's basically
heard in everyone's music that, at times can we really consider it
down south?

A: When you craft a beat, do you try to accommodate the future MC, or do
you more so work to appease yourself?

Sledgren: I really just try to make the beat for my self and bring someone to my
world. I don't wanna record a whole album with someone, I just want 3
or 4 chances to bring someone over to my mind state.

A: What was your favourite era of hip hop? And if you had to pick one
record, what would best represent hip hop?

Sledgren: My fav era had to be the Snoop dog and Tupac era (Deathrow). I felt
like every record they released was just crazy. My moms would listen
to some of
their work and she only listens to gospel. [Record that represents hip
hop] Nas. "If I ruled the world" !!!!!!!!!!

A: All of you producers are neurotic. Do any of your idiosynchrasies
bother mans in the studio?

Sledgren: Not really, I try to make my sessions private so that there's not
really any conflict.

A: Let's say you just made the beat that would potentially break you into
superstardom. Two MC's are neck and neck for the beat. The catch is,
one is broke, but extremely dope, but you know he'd do the record
justice. On the other hand, you got a really wack dude who has the
gwap for the record. What do you do?

Sledgren: I'm a very honest and sarcastic guy (a wierd mix), so me seeing he is
a good dude, I'm gonna make the money and maybe on the next trip look
out for the broke dude! Its kinda drown together or I'll come back
and save you haha.

A: From a production stand point, what MC currently out right now needs
the most help?

Sledgren: Needs the most help? I would actually say Jay Z. He has the ability
to get beats from everyone. I just don't like his selections anymore.
He's to by the book to me, he needs help.



"If they aint
hatin then you aint doin somethin right".





A: When was the last time you actually bought an album, and what album
suprised you in 08, good or bad?

Sledgren: Nothin really surprised me in 08 but... Drake Drizzy? It wasn't an
album but besides us that's all I listen to. I guess Wayne heard his
talent too.

A: Have you found yourself in the cross hairs of any of Wiz' haters here
in the city?

Sledgren: Yeah, these haters are crazy! They'll hate for no reason at all and
make up some bull! Really its so funny, I took offense at first,
'cause its hard to let someone talk shit on you right in front of you
for no reason, but now its just funny and ironic to me. "If they aint
hatin then you aint doin somethin right".

A: In your immediate surroundings, who do you view as competition?

Sledgren: Me, I actually fuck with Juliano. I don't wanna work with any one.
He's close, he's cool I'd rather fuck with him then an really big
established producer cause maybe one day we could be those really big
big super producers?

A: A lot of people are talking, you know, they're really divided with the
whole Taylor Gang/Staar Life thing. A lot of people are saying the
quality of music took a turn for the worse. What do you have to say
to that?

Sledgren: I'm not sure? Sometimes people can't understand rappers from a
industry stand point. You cant make POTC2 tracks for life, you have
mature. Some people say water down, sell out, but they just don't
understand at all! I love the position that we're in, and on top of
that we have a lot of good music to release!!!!!!!!!!!!

A: In your opinion, does Pittsburgh have room for more growth,
development and room for another headliner?

Sledgren: We have room but how can we be heard? WAMO's not supportive in my
opinion to local artists. I feel like I'm in Atlanta when I turn it
on
but there is definitely talent here. They just gotta tap other places
before Pittsburgh really knows about them, wow!!!!!!!!!!!!?

A: Anything else you wanna add?

Sledgren: Man I hope people just support what we do, we tryna put the burgh on
the map. Heavy Hustle! Taylor Gang or die!!

The Ayatollah has spoken

No comments: