rss
twitter
    Find out what I'm doing, Follow Me :)

2.05.2010

[Blogordie!] Interviewing the Photographer J. Beckham

New website coming March 2010* 

Motivation:
I’m obsessed with telling stories through photos so that is my initial motivation. I also want to bring people up with my photography.

Who or what influenced you to become a photographer?
I was influenced to become a photographer from skateboarding. I was always into filming and photographing skateboarders.

Where did you study photography?
I studied at Point Park University and Pittsburgh Filmmakers.

Why is Photography important to you?
I can tell stories without literally telling them. It also documents time and the memories I’ll have from photographing people are priceless.

Do you think that a person must possess talent to capture emotion and expression in a picture?
Yes I highly do.

Which one item of equipment would you say is the most important to you?
The camera is most important for sure. I started off with a Canon film camera and I had no lighting at all but I look back at the photos from that time and can appreciate them so much because they were all straight raw looking skateboard photos.

As an artist do you find yourself drifting away from one form of media to another, devoting your creative forces souly to the media at hand. Or do you try to divide up your time more equally?
I’m usually working on my own projects while working on magazine shoots, cover shoots, or a person portfolio. Sometimes I’m working on like four projects at a time while doing the editorial/commercial styled shoots.

How would you describe your overall style of photography? Will you include a mix of both candid and formal shots?
I love color and action so I try to make things pop out. I like telling people what to do haha but natural documentary style photos are cool to shoot as well.

Knowing what you know now how do you feel about seeing your first projects? Are things you would have done differently?
Actually no I wouldn’t change anything. When I work on something I do it and that’s the way I feel it should be left. I highly believe things happen for a reason and they should be done the way they are at the time.

You have been a very instrumental piece to the puzzle in Pittsburgh with all of your work, how do you feel you've impacted this city and what are your plans for the future?
I was blessed with working with people that I actually wanted to work with as far as models and musicians. There so many more I want to work with here as well. This city is pretty filled with amazing people and my mission is to show that as much as possible. I want to heavily get into doing videos again. I feel like this city is majorly on the rise. My plans after that are to come out with books. I’ve shot with a hand full of celebs and I’d like to become the next big celebrity photographer.  So incorporating celebs and a ton of people from Pittsburgh into a book is my dream. I also want to have more exhibits even if they are video exhibits like my project Exude.

Who are your influences?
David LaChapelle and Helmut Newton.

What are the biggest personal or professional challenges you face on a daily basis?
I don’t know. I don’t really think of things as challenges…

What are your favorite subjects to photograph?
Probably musicians cause I can really tell stories with them.

What types of assignments are you attracted to most?
I really like doing clothing campaigns. I just did one for this company that’s going to launch in 2010 called BTP. The concept was really on point and it was an experience that I was kind of around growing up but it just felt like I was almost shooting a movie but with photographs. It was a really cool experience.


Who or what would you love to shoot that you haven't already?
Lady Gaga would be awesome. M.I.A. is my favorite female singer so definitely her. Nigo of A Bathing Ape. He’s like the king of culture in Japan. I’d like to shoot with Kanye West for sure because I feel like I relate to him on certain levels. I’d love to shoot for Louis Vuitton as well.

Is there anything that you would have done differently in your career and do you have any advice for others?
I’d love to travel more but I can’t really do that much without getting hired. I want a manager or agent so I can book bigger jobs for sure. My advice to others is to shoot what you love period. You will enjoy doing what you do way more.

No comments: